The villa
The origins

The history of Villa Carminati Resta begins in 1787, when Teresa Carminati asks for permission to build a residence for her own use in the vineyard of the suppressed Confraternity of S. Giorgio in Borgo Vico – land already known from notarial deeds of 1583 under the name of Vignolo.
The authorship of the project is attributed to the architect Felice Soave thanks to the writings of Giovanni Battista Giovio (“Como and the Lario”, 1795), descendant of a noble family from Como dedicated to literary and political studies. 

The construction of Villa Carminati triggers a virtuous series of measures, both public and private, for the restoration of neighboring properties, thanks to which the area is redeveloped, creating in this way a more ordered and homogeneous architectural profile.
Starting from Villa Carminati, the sequence of neoclassical villas of Borgo Vico lapped by the lake opens up. Over time the building passed property, first to the Resta-Pallavicino marquises and then to Giovanni Scacchi. 

After the Second World War, he carried out important restoration works on the villa and transformation of the service buildings that overlooked the street, using the building as offices for his silk factory. The lakeside garden is instead recovered and maintained in its original appearance, with Italian-style flower beds. 

This is how the villa acquires its present appearance, which has now been restored with respect for its historicity. 

The location

Villa Carminati Resta lies on the shores of the Lake Como, at the beginning of the pedestrian path that leads to Villa Olmo in just a few minutes walk and on the west “noble” side of the lake, the same where the major villas – such as Villa d’Este in Cernobbio or the same Villa Olmo – were built.

The property is close to the Aero Club, point of departure and landing of seaplanes, on board of which it’s possible to discover the beauty of the lanscape from a privileged point of view, and to the dock. The Villa is just a few steps away from it, and newlyweds or guests can access the Villa via lake through the garden. The old town, with its Roman walls, can be easily reached by feet.

The architecture

Villa Carminati Resta consists of different areas that define the interior and the outdoor spaces.

The main historical building on two floors and the tower suite lays between the frontlake garden and the entry courtyard.

The service buildings originally configured in stables for horses, barn and a coach house have been transformed into more informal interior spaces such as the loft and the bioclimatic greenhouse, and areas for hospitality.

All the elements are inscribed in the original neoclassical project, harmoniusly orchestrated in proportions, and are now enhanced by a restoration which was respectful of the historical value but balanced with a conetmporary sensibility.

The lakefront garden

The lakefront garden has been restored in the respect of the original neoclassical project, gently framing the facade just like in the Eighteenth century. Between the columns and wisteria, these enchanting waters show themselves at first glance.

A direct access to the pedestrian path on the lakeside allows guests to enter the Villa directly by the lake.